With a focus on short period weight loss and a lifestyle change, the medical professionals at Uptown Medical Wellness say the focus is on eating clean, which means eliminating preservatives as processed or refined sugars.
With the help of Dr. Jose Rodriguez, who developed a protocol and a mindset to bring patients in the education process, Uptown utilizes tools designed to make a significant change in clients’ lives.
“It’s learning how to eat to live, not live to eat,” said Gloria Meyer, a Nurse Practitioner at Uptown. “It’s what you do on your own, and it’s the crucial first step to a healthy lifestyle.
Uptown Medical Wellness promotes the injection of Human Chorionic Gonadotropin, and its HCG diet as the “gold standard” in its medically supervised weight loss program. HCG is the hormone women make when they are pregnant. The HCG diet is defined by a 500-calorie diet paired with daily injections of HCG.
Uptown Medical Wellness Center has been using HCG for the last four years.
The diet lets you have two meals a day, lunch and dinner. Each meal has to include one protein, one vegetable, one bread, and one fruit.
You can broil or grill veal, beef, chicken breast, fresh white fish, lobster, crab, or shrimp as long you don’t eat any visible fat. No salmon, eel, tuna, herring, or dried or pickled fish are allowed.
Vegetables choices include spinach, chard, chicory, beet greens, green salad, tomatoes, celery, fennel, onions, red radishes, cucumbers, asparagus, and cabbage.
Bread can be one breadstick or one piece of melba toast.
For fruit, you can choose an orange, an apple, a handful of strawberries, or half a grapefruit. The diet allows as much water, coffee, and tea as you want. You can also have up to 1 tablespoon of milk per day.
You can use sugar substitutes but not sugar to sweeten drinks. Butter and oils aren’t allowed.
“The HCG diet protocol is very safe, and has been around for more than 50 years,” Meyer said. “It has been proven successful in thousands of patients worldwide.”
Brewed tea or black coffee in any quantity without sugar or honey. Saccarin (Sweet N Low) 2 packs per day or Stevia (unlimited amount) may be used as a sweetener.
lunch (12 pm to 1 pm)
– 100 grams/3.5 oz of veal, beef, chicken breast (boneless and skinless), fresh white fish, lobster, crab or shrimp. All visible fat must be carefully removed before cooking, and the protein must weighed raw. It must be steamed, boiled, broiled, baked or grilled without additional fat, oils or cooking spray. Salmon, tuna, eel, herring, dried or pickled fish is not allowed. Beef is limited to twice a week.
– One type of vegetable can be chosen per meal, and may not include canned vegetables.
– One type of Melba toast, but no Melba snacks. Two fruit choices. Choose only 1 between 3 p.m. and 3:30 p.m.: Medium apple, ½ grapefruit or small navel orange.
–Second fruit: 6 strawberries between 8 pm. and 9 pm.
Dinner: (6 pm to 6:30 pm)
– The same steps as lunch. Do not repeat protein, vegetable and fruit.
– The juice of one lemon daily is allowed for all purposes. Salt, pepper, vinegar, mustard powder, garlic, sweet basil, parsley, thyme, marjoram may be used for seasoning, but no oil, butter or dressing.
– Brewed tea, black coffee, plain water or mineral water are the only drinks allowed, but they may be taken in any quantity at all times. At least three to four liters of water are recommended daily.